Mental Health First Aid Training In The Workplace
It is now recommended that every organisation should have at least 1 Mental Health First Aider for every 25 employees, with MHFA England’s mission to train 1 in 10 employees.
In times like these, it is imperative that organisations are equipped with solid mental health first aid support across all areas of the workplace.
This globally-recognised and evidence-based mental health first aid training course teaches people to spot the signs of mental health issues in the workplace, offer help and guide a person towards support. We don’t teach people to be therapists, but we do teach people to listen, reassure and respond, even in a crisis – and even potentially reach out to someone before a crisis happens.
This two day course qualifies your employees as Mental Health First Aiders, giving them:
- An in-depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing.
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of a range of mental health issues.
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress using the Mental Health First Aid action plan.
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening.
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether through self-help resources, internal support such as EAP, or external sources such as their GP.
- An understanding of how to keep themselves safe while performing their duties
Virtual learning format:
- The course is delivered online over 4 half days. This comprises 4 LIVE webinars and independent guided online learning.
- Learning takes place through a mix of virtual presentations, ‘breakout’ group discussions and workshop activities.
- We limit numbers to 12 people per online course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn. If you have a small number of attendees from your company, we can arrange for you to join attendees from another company.
- Each session is built around a Mental Health First Aid action plan
Live ‘in person’ format:
- Learning takes place through a mix of presentations, group discussions and workshop activities.
- Two day face to face course across four manageable sessions.
- We limit numbers to 16 people per course so that the instructor can keep people safe and supported while they learn.
Everyone who completes the Mental Health First Aid training gets:
- A certificate of attendance to say they are a MHFA First Aider.
- A manual to refer to whenever they need it.
- A quick reference card for the Mental Health First Aid action plan.
- A workbook including a helpful toolkit to support their own mental health.
- A copy of the Line Managers’ Resource, an invaluable source of advice on how to support an employee experiencing mental ill health.
- The opportunity to join regular facilitated check-ins with fellow metal health first aiders to share experiences, concerns and best practice.
To find out more about our Mental Health First Aider training in the workplace, enquire about teaming up with another company to make a larger group or to book a course exclusively for your employees, please get in touch.