The cost of living crisis combined with rising food costs means the majority of us will be thinking twice over the food we buy. With food prices rising an average of 11.2% over the past year, with no sign of them reducing any time soon, the pressure is on to make savings on our food shop that count.
In our new workshop Healthy Eating on a Budget, our resident Harley Street Nutritionist shows you saving money on food doesn’t mean you need to scrimp on nutrition. From Supermarket swaps to seasonal suggestions, you’ll leave the session inspired with recipes and tips for making low-cost delicious that packs a nutritional punch.
You can read more about Healthy Eating on a Budget here. And in the meantime, we’ve shared a delicious recipe that’s light on the wallet, but high on anti-inflammatory flavours and prebiotic fibre.
Cupboard Essentials Vegan Curry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions – chopped (can be from frozen)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (can be from frozen)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp turmeric
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 x 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g chickpeas – rinsed
- 400ml coconut milk
- Squeeze of lime/lemon
- Coriander – fresh
- In a deep pan, heat the olive oil and add the sliced onions. Cook until softened, around 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic and all the spices, and stir to combine. Cook for 3 mins, continually stirring so nothing burns, then pour in the can of tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next, add in the coconut milk and season with salt. Bring to the boil for 5 minutes and then lower the temperature. Add in the chickpeas and simmer for 20 mins until the sauce has thickened. Stir every few minutes to avoid burning.
- Serve in a deep bowl on a bed of brown rice and scatter over chopped coriander and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Can be served with quinoa, cauliflower rice, salad, in a wrap or with some yogurt.
For more money-saving tips, check out our Coping with the Cost of Living Crisis Financial Wellbeing webinar. This 60 minute session lead by a financial coach will help put your employee’s minds at ease and equip them with practical advice and helpful tips to weather the storm of this financial strain. More info here.